Monday, August 17, 2009

Mivikah chem hichiwhae?

For the last 10 years or so, I have always been able to go to Alvino Siva when I had a question regarding our culture: religion, customs, language and songs. Now that he's gone, I must admit I'm a bit lost. I think every Cahuilla person has felt that way when the previous generation starts to pass away.

When my dad passed, it took me a year to get my bearings and become the man that my family needed to carry on. Maybe that's why we traditionally take a year off to grieve. Not simply to heal, but to prepare to fill the void that death brings.

Please don't think that I'm saying I could ever replace Alvino, or Robert, or Biff. What I'm hoping is that we all will work to fill this void and to attempt to move our people in a healthy direction. Frankly, I'm tired of the pissing contests that say "I'm more traditional than you" or "I'm more Indian than you". I think it's harmful to our people and teaches destructive behavior to our youth. Ultimately, I know I can't change anyone but myself.

As for myself, I am sitting out for a year. No singing. No peon. It's the least I can do to show respect for my mentor. That's what I want to do. It's hard and I will miss it, but really meaningful things don't come easy. I will continue to look to my elders and try to do the right thing.

I think we should all recognize the elder singers from each rez and follow their lead. With respect comes responsibility and I'm confident that these men will rise to the challenge because that's what Cahuilla men do.

These are my thoughts and this is my prayer.

Achama!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm not a singer, but I did want to say that I'm pleased with the idea of honoring our elder singers by creating a forum for discussion using modern technology. Sharing our thoughts, feelings, concerns, and communicating with one another is vital to our survival. As everyone knows, the "ol' divide and conquer" can be brutal! This forum will allow us to talk about issues, share our thoughts, remember those that we should never forget, and prepare for the future...maybe even allow us to pat ourselves on the back on occasion! Also, I'm one of those people who believe that we can preserve our past by using modern technology in innovative ways! You know, Indian people have always been innovative! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off i would like to commend Jerry for taking the initiative to do something that will hopefully not only open up the lines of communication but also the hearts and minds of those that sincerely care about the survival of our Cahuilla Culture. "what little we have left" In fact it is that very nature of not talking and not sharing with one another that not only goes AGAINST our traditional way of life but also is distroying any chance we have of retaining and preserving it.

    i've already redone this bit 5 times already each time trying to not sound negative.
    BUT then again i've never heard of a Soldier in a War not have complaints.

    So i'll just say this,
    Any one who Truly Cares about OUR Cahuilla Way of life, will sincerely seek the truth and not settle for what makes them comfortible and happy.
    And once you have found it, SHARE it!
    For the WAy was always ment for all! Never a select few.

    I am speaking of our social and spiritual way of life. This is what i mean by the "Way" not the power of the Puul'Valem. I'm clearifying my statement so that i am not miss understood.

    As for the question: Whom do i look to?
    A:Look to those that are leading. Those that are living and practicing our Cahuilla Way.

    Q:Whom Do I believe, Whom do i Follow?
    A:Follow the One of Honorable Actions.
    Words are lies, Action is the Truth.
    Do not be blinded by images or foolish family Feud loyalties. it is human to make mistakes, But it is a foolish human who lives by them.

    Q: Who am i to say such things?
    A: I'm the Soldier! A'Walem Clan!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something constructive to add?